Dunkirk opens as hundreds of thousands of British and Allied troops are surrounded by enemy forces. Trapped on the beach with their backs to the sea they face an impossible situation as the enemy closes in.
- Fionn Whitehead as Tommy, a British Army private
- Tom Hardy as Farrier, a Royal Air Force pilot
- Harry Styles as Alex
- Kenneth Branagh as Commander Bolton
- Mark Rylance as Dawcett, a civilian yachtsman
- Jack Lowden as Collins, a Royal Air Force fighter pilot
- Aneurin Barnard
- Cillian Murphy
- James D'Arcy as Captain Winnant
- Barry Keoghan as George
- Tom Glynn-Carney as Peter
In September 2015, Warner Bros. set the film for a July 21, 2017 release.
Cast interviews started since June 2017.
On the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 96% based on 70 reviews, with an average rating of 9/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Dunkirk serves up emotionally satisfying spectacle, delivered by a writer-director in full command of his craft and brought to life by a gifted ensemble cast that honors the fact-based story." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 96 out of 100 based on 34 critics, indicating "universal acclaim". It is the 22nd highest-rated film ever on the site. 
A total of three trailers have been released for the film.